Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Tech talk

I met with my Dosmitrist today.  It's all very techie but I'll do my best to summarize. The Dosmitrist takes the proton plan from the radiologist and then uses computer models of my body to make a three-dimensional pattern for each proton beam used.  The protons are energized with a cyclotron and magnets to specific velocities.  These "energies" determine how deep into my body the protons will travel and where they will deliver their maximum energy.

The brass ring (seen below weight about 35 pounds) and the blue wax ring are made in a machine shop on premises. They were sculpted from the computer model of my body and I have three different rings depending on what angle they need, the blue wax ring further defines the treatment field.  The machine shop does tours on Wednesday's if anyone is interested. These guys love visitors and love to show off what they do.

I talked at length with my former neighbor Rosemary today.  She lives nearby and we are going to do lunch soon.  And I just got a call from Carrie who lives in Naperville. Thursday I'll be going to dinner with Carrie and her husband Tom. I've been getting a bit spoiled eating out so much. And also really spoiled by the number of places with yummy food that fit my dietary restrictions. Things like these are huge for me being away from home for such long stretches.



No comments:

Post a Comment