Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Just two treatments to go

My last week in Chicago is turning into a whirlwind week.  Tonight friends Tom and Carrie are taking me to Mike Ditka's restaurant for dinner - it was one of my bucket list things to do while here in Chicago.  And if luck holds out we'll go to Cooper's Hawk Restaurant tomorrow night.  It's a local favorite that everyone at the Proton Center raves about.

I finish proton therapy on Thursday, May 1st.  After 33 sessions of nuclear warfare I get a graduation party complete with a certificate of completion.  I'm so happy this part is over but I will really miss the wonderful caring staff at the CDH Proton Center.  It's the only doctor's office I've ever been in with a beverage bar, fireplace, and live music in the lobby.

Here's a picture of my scorched skin.  It's very sore and starting to itch quite a bit - think of it as the worst sunburn ever on steroids. I'm stretching 4 - 10 times per day to keep scar tissue from forming.  It hurts/burns, but if I don't stretch and keep it moving my skin and underlying muscles will get adhesions and I'll have less range of motion in my arm.

But we're so excited to see this phase come to an end.  The entire focus of our lives this past year has been staying strong and surviving cancer.  It's been a lot to endure for me and even harder on the Former Boyfriend.  Being apart has taken a toll on both of us.

That being said, it's time for blood work and scans. My first week back in Columbus I have five doctor appointments.  Even though at this stage I'm considered NED ( no evidence of disease ) cancer will always be lurking in the background waiting for an opportunity.  Luckily, I have a good team of doctors to help me figure this out and keep it from happening again.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone back in Columbus.


Can you say well done?

In the lobby

No comments:

Post a Comment