Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Pictures of them preparing to zap me

I'm back in Chicago after a rainy Monday drive. I have no idea why the roads get so crazy when it rains but my guess is a combination of folks with poorly maintained cars, yacking on their phones, along with terrible roads. But I made it here without incident.  The Former Boyfriend and I thought once we got into a routine these trips would get easier, but it's been hard on both of us being separated.

It's been so difficult to try and explain proton therapy so my techs took a couple of photos.  If you look closely you can see the blue wax ring right above me.  Inside the blue wax ring are the brass rings that I showed in a previous post.

Before my treatment session my radiation techs line my body up using lasers in the room and ink marks on my body.  I'm also laying in a mold of my body to hold me in position.  Following this the techs use a CT X-ray scanner to make sure all my organs are in the proper position.

Once properly aligned, the techs run and hide behind radioactive safety glass while they zap me for approximately two minutes.  Then the techs move the proton machine to a second position and zap me again for another 1-2 minutes. Everything is painless and after treatment I'm free to do whatever I want for the rest of the day.

Thanks to everybody for all your support it means more than you will ever know.



No comments:

Post a Comment