Thursday, April 10, 2014

Hooray for halfway

We'll I'm officially halfway through proton therapy, only 15 more trips to Fukushima.  My last five treatments are called a "radiation boost".  I'll receive an extra dose of radiation to my scar because cancer likes to recur in the scar region.

The fact that I've heard the song "Radioactive" twice while receiving my treatment along with the term "radiation boost" leaves me a little leery.  I'm not wanting a "bonus" round of this stuff, but I really don't want the cancer coming back either.

I had my appointment with Dr. Chang aka Dr. Rad today.  He's a Michigan man through and through - born and raised, undergrad, med school he bleeds maize and blue (and never lets me forget I'm from Columbus).  He said my skin is holding up good so far but he'd like me to put on a little weight.  I came in at 117 today.

I finished up at the Proton Center before 9. It was another blah day but that didn't stop me from going to St. James Farm.  I didn't stay as long as I would have liked due to rain, but I loved the place.  The old farmhouse and a German style barn remain on the property from the 1800's.

Originally owned by Chauncey McCormick - the great nephew of Cyrus, inventor of the mechanical reaper and co-founder of the McCormick Reaper works.  That merged with Deering Harvester and ended up as International Harvester.

The farm was home to award winning Guernsey cows and the dairy was state-of-the-art for its time.  And the equestrian facility has a 62 stall stable, a 1.5 mile steeplechase track, and an indoor arena.

But now I'm back at the hotel getting my stuff together so I can head home as soon as my treatment ends tomorrow.  As always, thank you all so very much for your love and support.


Pictures from St James Farm

No comments:

Post a Comment