Saturday, March 29, 2014

Home for the weekend



This week flew by due to the amazing act of affection by Jodie. Her coming to spend some time with me really helped the week move by.  It was the most time we’ve had to spend together since shortly after High School.  But Thursday was another dreary day in Chicago – Jodie headed for home (and her Grand baby Lexi) after the local rush hour which left me waiting for my final treatment so I could go home.

 The staff at the CDH Proton Center came through again moving my Friday appointment to 10:15 am so I could set out for home.  I went to the Center, bags packed, loaded in the trunk and ready to be home but a wreck on I-65 in Indiana added an extra 45 minutes to an hour to the drive home. UGH!!!

I’m not a great traveler.  I always feel a little disoriented, especially now that I’m in Chicago by myself – the first couple of days are the hardest – or when I have to watch someone I love leave.  It’s like being a kid when my parents left me behind.  I just want to be in my comfy familiar surroundings.

However, I just finished reading a breast cancer research report that stated that breast cancer patients who were able to increase their social support during their cancer journey reduced their risk of dying by an incredible 70%.  Strong social support is what matters most whether from friends, family, acquaintances or a spouse.  What the study showed is that receiving love from others helps your body heal. Wow!!
 
I’m learning (slowly) that it’s a privilege for people to give and it’s also a privilege for me to receive.  Thank you all so much for all the support you‘ve given me.  The thoughts calls prayers and cards (like the one below) are truly appreciated.


No comments:

Post a Comment