Thursday, July 2, 2015

Anniversary?



Here it is.  Two years since I received the diagnosis of Stage 3 cancer.  Is that something to celebrate?  Right now it’s something that I can’t seem to wrap my head around.  After years of working out, eating a somewhat clean diet (my diet is now much improved), and following doctor’s orders I never believed cancer, let alone Stage 3 is something that I would experience.  But then no one believes cancer will happen to them.  People ask me all the time how I’m doing and I never really know how to respond.  But I do feel good.  It’s just that July is an emotional time for us…even with writing the blog there is no way to explain the upheaval we’ve been through the past two years.  I’m so very lucky to have Johnny in my life.  We’ve been hugging and holding each other close.  I wouldn’t have made it without him.

I’m now one year post-treatment and my current status is (NED) no evidence of disease.  So while that makes me technically recovered the tests and appointments continue.  Two years ago at the time of my diagnosis the stats were 50% that I will be alive in 2018. That’s very sobering. This month is another hCG test and in August an appointment with Dr. Kanodia.
 I am starting to feel stronger and even went out for a run with the dogs this morning and if the weather cooperates I will continue.  We all enjoyed the run.  I’m also reading Ben Greenfield’s book Beyond Training and learning a lot about serious workouts.

We’re moving forward, truly appreciating what we have.  It’s friends and family this weekend.  Happy 4th I hope I get to be here for many more.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment