Friday, July 10, 2015

Green Breakfast Smoothie



I’m continuing to write this blog to share what I have learned with my friends and family – those who follow me and my recovery, where most of us go sooner or later, in one way or another, hopefully with someone you love.  I’ve learned so much, and I’m trying to pass it on as Johnny and I move through this extraordinary and transforming experience.  I’m not the same person I was two years ago, literally and figuratively, physically and spiritually.  The shock has been great.
I believed and still do in Integrative Medicine.  I believe in taking a holistic approach to the body along with using the best of modern technology.  I will never live a life full of pills and trips to the pharmacy, the doctor, and fighting with insurance companies.  Life is different now.  There are more pills, doctors and insurance dealings than I would like. There are a lot more tests but there are still many tests I will not accept or endure.  My life is not going to be about managing cancer, it’s going to be about spending time with all of you.
Better for you than a McMuffin

I’m strong and working out more each day (Nancy I need you to keep me accountable!).  I start every morning jumping on my trampoline for 10 – 20 minutes and then go out for a walk/run with the dogs.  I follow up throughout the day with weight lifting, stretching and occasional cardio. 
Managing the health care system is the most challenging part of cancer apart from the trauma.  The doctors are overwhelmed, they take tests and read levels – if it doesn’t have a number or an image, we don’t talk about it.  Thank God for the internet and the folks who have gone before me and shared their journey.  I just need to pay attention.  Johnny and I listen to differing opinions and develop what we believe to be the best plan for us.  All I can do is take responsibility for my own health.
Every office that I have gone to has been obsessed with having me sign their privacy forms.  Yet they don’t protect their computer systems and every detail of my life is floating around for sale somewhere on the internet, including all of my medical information.  And no, I don’t have a cold, need a mask and I have not been to Africa lately or ever in this lifetime.
Anyway, a full recovery takes patience, faith and perseverance.  There is a lot of good in the medical system, but ultimately, I think the most important, is what’s in my heart.  I understand my health a lot better now and I hope to stay healthy for a long time.  Nothing is better for my recovery than that.
Mainly though, as always, I’ m so fortunate and we thank everyone who is along on this journey, and wish for you a dry and wonderful weekend. 
For all the relatives up North – we’ll see you at the wedding reception!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment