Friday, June 13, 2014

The chemo port is history



There’s no such thing as a little operation when it’s happening to you.  Nonetheless, today’s procedure was as close as you can get with a singing surgeon wielding a scalpel.

The morning started off with all the usual ID/insurance card stuff.  But as soon as the Former Boyfriend and I were sent to the surgical holding pen we got a real feel for the place.  My Surgeon Kristine Slam came in happy and singing and the office staff started laughing so hard they could hardly control themselves.  It was a real positive atmosphere for yet another procedure.

The port was removed in a surgical room, but not a full-blown operating room.  Two nurses prepped me with everything icy cold they could get their hands on. Yikes! They also made the usual inquiries as to do I have any  surgically implanted metal plates. When I responded no they said they had a special today if I wanted any. (not surprisingly, I declined)

Dr. Slam numbed my shoulder with Lanacane.  Her first incision removed the catheter from my artery.  She put pressure on the area for several minutes to stop the bleeding.  Then she removed the port by cutting the sutures that held it in place.  More pressure to stop the bleeding, dissolving stitches on the inside, glue and steri strips to close up the skin on the outside.

The procedure took 15 – 20 minutes.  And Dr. Slam informed the Former Boyfriend that I was to do no cooking, cleaning, laundry…..for 6 weeks – laughing while she said it.  Actually, I just need to take it easy this weekend and I’ll be back to work on Monday.

Before

After

No comments:

Post a Comment