Monday, February 17, 2014

Recuperation



I’m home recovering from surgery.  By all accounts the surgery went very well.  My anesthesiologist was Dr.  Sleeper. You can’t make this stuff up.  I’m glad the hospital staff told me ahead of time so I didn’t laugh in his face.  He’s very young and apparently very talented.  I was in surgery for less than two hours and awoke with no nausea about 20 minutes after surgery.  His was the last face I saw in the operating room and the first one when I woke up.  He asked me some questions while I was coming to in the recovery room.  I have no idea what those questions were, but it seems that I passed the test.  He was smiling and moved on.

 I did so well in fact the surgeon (Dr. Slam, another great name for a doctor) was going to let me go home the same night as surgery.  The Former Boyfriend and I had just gone through all of the discharge paperwork when the Surgeon walked in to check her work.  Stop, do not pass go…you are staying here overnight. I developed a hematoma and they needed to dissolve it and reduce the swelling.  What a Valentine’s Day buzz kill.  But I must say the entire team at Mount Carmel was friendly, helpful and competent.  We even had carrot cake for our evening meal…a small celebration.  John was so worn down from a lack of sleep that he slept like a baby Friday night in a questionable recliner he nicknamed ol’ blue.

They’ve got me all wrapped up in an ace bandage covered by a tight surgical bra that I wear day and night until the swelling goes down.  The pain has been minor and I am not on any pain medication. John's sister Mary Jo has been here helping around the house with cooking and cleaning and laundry. I might not send her back to Virginia.

Thanks to everyone for your continued prayers, support, love and assistance (for me and for Tillie).  We’re so blessed to have such an amazing community of family and friends.  We can only pay it forward because there is no way to repay the kindness we’ve received.

No comments:

Post a Comment