Friday, June 23, 2017

TIme for a new Doc



I don’t think that’s it’s an overstatement to say that everything changes with a diagnosis of Stage 4 cancer.  My relationship with my Primary Care Doctor – Dr. LeMay has, by nature changed as well. When I went to see him yesterday, he pulled his chair over and sat only inches from me.  We talked about family, work and cancer and medications. Right now one of the things that’s especially important is good communication.  It always is, but now two of the topics that are imperative to review at each meeting are side effects and symptoms – especially pain.

Dr. LeMay began talking immediately about finding a good balance between length of life and quality of life.  We will be constantly juggling these two aspects of life as we go forward- for me and Johnny.  He’s so helpful when decision-making becomes so blurred.  Right now nothing is crystal clear.

It became obvious in the time that I spent with him that I must find a new Oncologist.  Dr. LeMay talked about doctors that distance themselves from their patients as the patients get sicker and closer to death.  This is apparently their coping mechanism.  In contrast, I felt embraced, with as much comfort and care as Dr. LeMay could possibly provide.  I believe he truly cares for me he’s not just treating another patient.

I’ve always been a partner in my care it’s the only way I know how to be and Dr. LeMay likes that.  It’s my life and the decisions made are ones I do not want to regret because I gave up control or didn’t have adequate information.  With that said, treating cancer is certainly not an exact science.  And while I get the satisfaction of partial control, it’s my jagged little pill if the decisions I make don’t turn out as hoped.

So, Monday morning I’ll meet one more time with my current Oncologist (Johnny calls her “The Princess”) for another scan and a discussion about medications.  But in my heart, I believe this will be our last meeting.

As always, we’re constantly looking for ways to increase both the quality and quantity of our lives so both Johnny and I are looking forward to our meeting with Dr. Eric Serrano in about two weeks.  Dr. Eric is another great guy to have in our lives.

Until then, we have all sorts of plans for Mary Jo and Brian when they arrive.  It’s going to be a good weekend.  Love you all.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment