Monday, March 12, 2018

In remembrance and a new journey

Following a cancer diagnosis 2 1/2 years ago, and 4 months in Hospice care, Johnny has left us to join Jeannie, his daughter, Tess, our parents, and so many others that he has loved and dearly missed in his lifetime.

I am not the journalist my brother was and I will miss his wisdom and humor beyond what any words can describe, but I will try my best to finish this informative blog that was created a little over 4 years ago.

When I arrived in Columbus in November and he told me he was signing on with Hospice I would have never expected him to continue his battle into March. He had more strength than anyone I've ever known.

We hadn't lived together for this amount of time since our years growing up. Our time through these few months have filled me with memories that I will forever cherish. When he still had the energy to get out each day he was directing me to his favorite restaurants for a good meal and would give me the history of the location while we ate together.  His never ending optimistic attitude of pushing through each day has left me with an impression of how we should live our lives no matter the knowledge we are given of our life expectancy.  Enjoy every day, and make the most of them.  Take care of those we love, and those who love us.

Johnny's past few weeks were filled with more days of exhaustion than he would have let on to those around him.  He was very good at putting on a cheerful voice by phone or best show of energy in the presence of others. He truly enjoyed the visits, the phone calls, and text messages, but his energy had depleted so that he would sleep most days for hours at a time. His humor continued and never failed as late as two days prior to his passing.  He was certain to show me a small smile before his final breaths and I knew all was well as he began his new journey.

Johnny's memory will be commemorated on March 24 at 11:00 a.m. at Sunset Cemetery, 6959 West Broad St., Galloway, OH, 43119. You all are invited to attend and enjoy the sharing of memories of John and Jeannie.You can call or text Johnny's cell and I will answer any questions.  

Hopefully, those who have followed this blog through the last few years of their time with us have acquired supportive health information, including the importance of regular exercise and following a healthy diet, do everything in moderation, extensive research of cancer and the alternatives available aside from what our medical industry may offer us, family memories both fun and some, not so fun, perseverance and never giving up when unforeseen obstacles are put in front of us, and maybe, most important of all, how precious our time is here with the ones we love.

In the words of the Former Boyfriend-----Peace and Love to Everyone

1 comment:

  1. Two beautiful souls that will be greatly missed by many. My time and efforts spent with them during this challenging journey will be remembered each of my remaining days. God Speed Johnny to Jennie' waiting arms.

    ReplyDelete