Friday, September 1, 2017

Oh well. Back to the poison

I had an appointment with my new oncologist this week. That's the biggest news of the week. The good news is that we both really liked Dr Yadav. Very warm and compassionate. Not at all rushed. Someone who inspires confidence. Unlike his predecessor, who we so lovingly referred to as the princess. The bad news is that I'm going back to chemotherapy, which we all knew was coming. Every last bit of me will get  CT scanned and MRI'd on Wednesday. That sets the stage for a still to be scheduled pet scan. I also have to have a port surgically installed (reinstalled?) so they can administer the witches brew. I was so happy to have gotten rid of the first one but what can a girl do? And once it's done the chemo begins, which Dr Yadav would like to start immediately if not sooner.

We started the week with a visit to our primary care doc, Dr Lemay. He's familiar with everything we've done medically both conventional and alternative, supporting us completely. It was his honest assessment that the chemo is the only option left. My liver is enlarged to the point that I haven't been able to button my jeans for a couple weeks now thanks to the distended belly. I walk slower than I'd like but the distention throws me off balance.

Wait a minute. Back to more positive news. I might have problems but those poor people in Houston. I've been able to get out with Johnny and the dogs on walks around the neighborhood. We went to the early hours of the Greek Festival on Friday and walked and ate. We've been off our diets a bit but Johnny has taken an attitude of whatever he can get me to eat is good nutrition. And I intend to get back to the Greek Festival this weekend since it runs through Monday. On Saturday a couple of neighbors are having parties. I plan to attend both. I still do more than my share of naps. But I've been able to pitch in a bit more around the house. Johnny's been taking care of all the insurance and appointment scheduling. His own appointment this week shows a slight elevation in liver enzymes and a CEA number higher than it's been in a year and a half. He's got a long way to go before it's anything alarming though so he'll revisit it with his oncologist in a couple of months. He's thrilled to watch his Tribe playing good baseball when it matters.We're going to have a great weekend. And we hope all of you do the same.

Image result for labor day clip art







No comments:

Post a Comment