Friday, August 30, 2013

Getting over the side effects



Yesterdays post was really a glossed over version of just how sick Jeannie was last night from the chemo. The good news was that she slept through most of it. The better news was that she not only slept but had much less queasiness when she woke up this morning. She drove herself across town for the three thousand dollar injection designed to reboot her white blood cell production, then hit Meijer for a few items, gassed up her vehicle, came home and did a couple loads of laundry and walked the dogs. In between she did catch a couple naps. But a remarkable rally from last night.

I’ve been writing all the entries. She’s reviewed them, suggested changes. But she’s left the writing to me. Last night she didn’t even feel good enough to look at the draft before I posted. She was greener than Kermit. Greener than money, than either of the peas in a pod. She was so green I was amazed she could sleep. Today she’s still talking about going to the Greek Festival this weekend. The last time we missed was about ten years ago. That was the Labor Day weekend I fell off our roof. No broth tonight. I grilled a couple pork chops. She made a tomato salad. And she tolerated it all quite well.

Like I said she’s left the lions share of the writing to me. But today she even wrote a few words:

I have never been particularly good at asking for help or accepting it even, really.  Lately you’re not giving me much choice.  It’s a strange feeling to be the focus of so much generosity.  I’m at a bit of a loss for words.  Thank You all from the bottom of my heart.

At the Greek Festival, I don’t foresee her doing shots of Ouzo. On the other hand she’s never done Ouzo at the Greek Festival so why start now? Opa!

No comments:

Post a Comment